zondag 19 mei 2013

Review: Gone - Michael Grant

Title: Gone (Gone #1)
Author: Michael Grant
Published: June 24th 2008 by Katherine Tegen Books
Add It: Goodreads

Purchase: AmazonBarnes and Noble

Rating: 4 stars

Summary from goodreads: 
In the blink of an eye. Everyone disappears. GONE.

Except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not one single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television. No way to get help. And no way to figure out what's happened.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents--unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers--that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen, a fight is shaping up. Townies against rich kids. Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless. And time is running out: On your birthday, you disappear just like everyone else...



What I think: This was not one of those books that I was really looking forward to reading. Some people told me about it and I have to say that I was quite curious about what would happen in a world with no adults. I have to say it was everything and nothing I could ever imagine. The book really blew my mind, it took me a few pages to really get into the story but after the third chapter I was sold.

Isn't it everyone's dream; no parents that dictate all the little things you have to do, no homework and ice-cream all day, tremendously awesome right! The only thing is; what happens when you run out of ice-cream, you get sick and instead of your mom and dad some older kid with creepy powers starts ruling. 

The story line is what I think would attract most of the readers, I know it is what attracted me because what kid -young or old- doesn't want to know what would or could happen when there are no adults. 

The characters are also very well written, I find that it's hard to connect with a book when you can't connect with the characters in it. Michael Grant did an amazing job with this, in every chapter you look into the story from someone else’s perspective. This takes a bit of getting used to and I have to admit that I got confused more than once. On the other hand I thought this was a great way of getting to know all the characters a little better. 

One of the only things which I did not like is that after a while it felt like I was reading about adults instead of children below the age of 15. I know some of them had to act like adults but still they are children and they will act childish every so often, but I couldn't find these acts of immaturity. 

The many questions that you will acquisition are regrettably not answered in this first book. But don't be afraid there are 4 more on your -want to read- list because this series exists out of 5 books. In my opinion three or two books too much because it would be so much more awesome as a trilogy. 

Please read this book if you love a good fantasy, science fiction and young adult book, I really recommend this book especially to younger readers they will be able to resemble themselves with the main characters -except for the fire shooting, moving things with their minds and absurd healing powers- of course.    

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Please let me know what you think, I love reading your comments!