vrijdag 17 mei 2013

Review: The Selection - Kiera Cass

Title: The Selection (Selection #1)
Author: Kiera Cass
Published: April 24th 2012 by HarperTeen
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon Barnes and Noble 

Rating: 3 stars

Summary from goodreadsFor thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in a palace and compete for the heart of gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.


Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself--and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.



What I think: From the very start this book managed to grab my attention. Princesses and fairytales who doesn't love them I love reading these kinds of books, they are usually easy reads. Unfortunatelly, halfway through I  started being annoyed by the characters, they were so indecisive. At one point I just wanted to start screaming at them why didn't they just make a choice damn it's not that hard! Due to this I can't say that I really loved it, yes it was easy to read; but is this a good or a bad thing?

The heart breaking -would never happen- love story at the start of the book broke my precious little heart. And after reading the first few pages you could almost immediately imagine how it was going to end.

And sorry if I offend anyone by saying this about our precious main character America, but how stupid can you be? You get royal life delivered to you on a silver platter and all you can think about is your ex-boyfriend who dumped you and who is poor as hell.

I normally go for the science-fiction/fantasy books, but when this one came along I had to give it a chance. I finished this book in a record time, maybe because I was annoyed and just wanted them to make some decision and maybe because I wanted it to be over so that everyone could have their happy ending. Could you imagine my disappointment when I found out it was going to be a trilogy. That means reading two more books with these indecisive characters, because of course I'm going to read them I really really really want to know how this story is going to end for America, our lovely prince Maxon and of course Aspen. You know what they say, once you start something.. 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Please let me know what you think, I love reading your comments!