vrijdag 24 mei 2013

Review: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner - Stephenie Meyer

Title: The Short Second Life of Bree Tanner
Author: Stephenie Meyer
Published: June 5th 2010 by Little, Brown and Company
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: Amazon, Barnes and Noble
Rating: 4 stars


Summary from goodreads: Fans of The Twilight Saga will be enthralled by this riveting story of Bree Tanner, a character first introduced in Eclipse, and the darker side of the newborn vampire world she inhabits.Bree Tanner can barely remember life before she had uncannily powerful senses, superhuman reflexes, and unstoppable physical strength. Life before she had a relentless thirt for blood...life before she became a vampire.

All Bree knows is that living with her fellow newborns has few certainties and even fewer rules: watch your back, don't draw attention to yourself, and above all, make it home by sunrise or die. What she doesn't know: her time as an immortal is quickly running out.

Then Bree finds an unexpected friend in Diego, a newborn just as curious as Bree about their mysterious creator, whom they only know as her. As they come to realize that the newborns are pawns in a game larger than anything they could have imagined, Bree and Diego must choose sides and decide whom to trust. But when everything you know about vampires is based on a lie, how do you find the truth?
In another irresistile combination of danger, mystery, and romance, Stephenie Meyer tells the devastating story of the newborn army as they prepare to close in on Bella Swan and the Cullens, following their encounter to its unforgettable conclusion.


What I think:  I loved the Twilight Saga, and that's why I had big expectations for this book. I'm always curious what happens to the other characters in a series. Sometimes it's even frustrating that the writers don't tell us everything, because how can we guess why people make certain choices without knowing a bit of background from someone. So, this book was a little wish comes true for me. 

Before this book Bree wasn't someone that stood in the spotlight, in the Twilight saga she had a small role. The newborn vampires (who we meet in Eclipse) were in my eyes blood-thirsty creatures. This was due to their small part and  that they were the villains; they disappeared in a little box in my memory very, very fast. However, after reading this my opinion about the newborn vampires has changed completely. 

Newborn vampires couldn't really help what they had become, this book shows it. They are little pawns in a bigger game. When reading this book you can feel what they feel when they undergo the transformation from human to monster. The book mostly fixates on Bree, after reading I had much more interest in what would come of her. Even though the Twilight fans already know how this story will end. 

After having some withdrawal symptoms of not being able to read new Twilight books, this little novella made me quite happy. I really enjoyed reading it and I loved Bree. I liked her so much that towards the end of the book I was hoping that the ending would change.

I sincerely recommend this book to whoever loves fantasy (especially vampires). It's not even necessary to read the Twilight books; it's a lovely little novella all on its own. 


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Please let me know what you think, I love reading your comments!