zondag 15 juni 2014

ARC Review: Myself, Me and I - Jo Allot

Title: Myself, Me And I
Author: Jo Allot
Published: May 5th 2013 by Createspace
Add It: Goodreads
Purchase: AmazonBarnes and Noble


Summary from goodreads: 
Hi, I'm Jo. The sole purpose of this book is to share with you a journey; this journey is the story of three people, Myself, Me, and I. You're probably thinking what? Isn't that just one person? I guess technically it is, however the journey I have been on to become the person I am today has been a far from easy one! Throughout the pages I will refer to Myself, Me and I often, so I guess I best try to explain them to help you understand. Myself - is a person I called Annie. She was my eating disorder and came in to my life on September the 8th 1990 when I was 12. She stayed in my life for 18 years, 7 months and 6 days until I was 30. Me - is Joanne - the person I was for nearly thirty one years. Joanne was a girl battling with so many issues that no one had a clue about. To the outside world she came across as confident and bubbly, with no care in the world. WRONG! This was a persona I used to protect myself from being anymore vulnerable and hurt than I already was; or so my screwed up logic would have me think. 
I – is Jo, the person I am today. Jo is a 34 year old confident woman who REALLY is happy with her life! So how did I get from Myself to I? A HUG! From someone I hardly knew . . . Four years ago a man walked in to my life and gave me a hug, just when I needed it most. This hug, this simple hug, changed the direction of my life completely, and sent me off on a new, much happier and more productive path. 
On Thursday the 28th of June 2012, that man walked in to my life again and I felt compelled to tell him just how profound his hug had been. So I shared some of my journey with him. This is my story.

What I think: 
First, Jo is an inspiring woman, it is incredible to overcome the things she writes about but then to put them in words is a whole different story. This is not a book I would usually read, I like fiction, a lot, and this is definitely not it, but the story is intriguing and real and drags you in from the first page. 

The author and also the main character has a unique view on life and an interesting sense of humour that can be seen throughout the book. It is a book that will make you laugh and cry and will make you feel grateful for your own life. The whole story is written very well, often when I read non-fiction I find it hard to get into a story and story lines are often very confusing. This book on the other hand had a clear story line, a beginning and an end. 

Jo, an applaus for you, you have overcome one of the most horrible diseases out there, and are in my eyes an example for many. Thank you for putting it down in words.

I lastly really need to mention that this is not only a book you can read for fun, it is very educational and I would recommend young girls or boys struggling with eating disorders or just in general with themselves to take a look at this book. 

I received an ARC of Myself, Me and I in an exchange for a fair and honest review.


Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie posten

Please let me know what you think, I love reading your comments!